Monday, July 19, 2004

Confessions

Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned.  Over the weekend, I made a boxed cake.  I had a Warm Spirit Party on Saturday afternoon, and was too tired to make a cake from scratch.  I know, you have blessed me with the ability to bake from scratch -- something that you passed down to me from my mother, and my grandmother.  I am so ashamed. 

You see, it wasn't an easy decision to make.  Although I was exhausted on Friday, I had intended on making a pound cake, but when I went to Costco and saw that 4 lbs. of butter was almost $10, I cringed.  I know that I could have substituted margarine for butter in my cake recipe, but God you know how I am when it comes to margarine.  I don't believe in margarine.  It's an evil substitute for butter.  It's just like false prophets.  They claim to know you and follow you.  They try to act like you and talk like you.  But they aren't anything like you.  They are just perpetrating a fraud.  And that's how I feel about margarine.  There's no way I could serve up a homemade cake made with margarine.

Did I also mention that I bought loaf cake from the Costco, too?  There were three store-baked loaves in a pack for something like $4.50.  That's like $1.50 per loaf!  You couldn't beat that with a bat.  I don't believe in store-bought cakes either, but it's the lesser of three evils.  Compared to the box cake and the margarine-flavored scratch cake, a store bought cake seemed to be the safest option.

Please, please forgive me for this transgression.  I promise not to stray from the straight and narrow path of baking ever again.

No comments: