Tuesday, July 6, 2004

The Big Payback?

All of this carb eating is going to catch up with me sooner or later.  Over the past week, the scale in my bathroom hasn't budged in either direction. So I'm thinking that either I've mastered the art of eating carbs, or in a few days I'm going to be in big trouble.

After crossing back over to the dark side, I'm having a hard time trying to go back to the low-carb way of doing things.  I can make the transition to whole wheat bread products, but if you ask me to cut out bread altogther, you are asking for trouble.  That's not going to happen.

Carbs are my friends.  Carbs are my life.  I made it through college on carbs.  When I couldn't decide between the mystery meat with the whodunit potatoes and the wilted salad bar with live insect croutons, the only food choices I had were the pizza bar, the cereal bar or the ice cream bar.  I think for about 60-70% of my freshman year, I only ate cereals.  And I'm not talking that blah, bland nuts and berries crap.  I'm talking about the tasty, sugary Cap'n Crunch, Crunch Berries, Froot Loops and Apple Jacks. On days when I didn't indulge in the world of sugar-coated cereals, I was at the mini-restaurant in the basement of the dorm ordering triple-threat Philly cheesesteaks.  (I called them triple-threat because they were high in fat, calories and cholesterol.)  By the end of my freshman year, I had gained almost 30 pounds.  Obviously I gained someone else's "Freshman 15" in addition to my own.

In my junior year when I wanted to be grown and get an apartment off-campus, there was a period of time when the money was really tight. And at about that time, McDonald's had just rolled out their new Arch Deluxe sandwich.  I can't quite recall what was so deluxe about it, but for a burger lover like me, it was just a newfound indulgence.  In McDonald's promotional campaign, you would get a free Arch sandwich if you purchased a medium fry and a medium drink.  I had calculated the cost of the fries and drink to be $2.10.  Not bad for the cost of a meal.  The only problem was that you needed a coupon, and the coupons could be found in copies of The Philadelphia Inquirer and The Philadelphia Daily News.  That would mean spending money in order to save money, and for the average college student, that just didn't make sense. So, I later found out that McDonald's also placed the coupons in Philadelphia's City Paper and  The Phildelphia Weekly.  Free newspapers meant free access to coupons, and that scenario totally worked for my budget. God forgive me, but I began searching out the City Paper and Philly Weekly newspaper boxes in hopes of collecting enough Arch Deluxe coupons to get me through the month.  There were probably some clueless souls who picked up their copies of the free weeklies never knowing that I had already scooped up their coupons.  However, by the end of the month I was so over the Arch Deluxe it wasn't funny.  Talk about payback.

In all of my years of eating, I was never as excited about fruits and veggies as I was about breads and other carbs.  My college years were about carbs.  When I was stressed out or nursing a heartache, I didn't turn to salad or fruit, I turned to pizza and cheesesteaks and cookies.

Nothing heals a broken heart like a medium pepperoni pizza.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mattsaunti,
You are on the money!  I'm a "Baby Boomer" carber.  I was skinny all my life, couldn't gain weight and very much wanted too.  I lived on and for my "carbs".  Luv, Luv, Luv them.  As I stated, I'm a boomer, so you know approximately where I am.  About fifteen years ago, ALL of those carbs came back to get me.  I won't go quietly, so I'm kicking and screaming now,"by any means necessary".  At the present I'm doing the atkins thing.  So far, this has worked better than anything else I've tried.  If, I said if, there is anyone out there that knows of anything that is "carb friendly" and healthy, and works to get the weight off, please let me know.
JW/FL

Anonymous said...

exercise is the answer

Anonymous said...

In my oponion doing your own deit works best. You need moderate amount of carbs for energy. So the best thing to do is low fat moderate amount of carb diet. Also moderation is the key. I've lost 140 ponuds and did so all on my own. I still eat what ever I want just in moderation. Plus I walk almost every day and sometimes I'll go to Bally's Gym. Good luck in losing the weight you want .

Anonymous said...

atkins and exercise is the best.

Anonymous said...

I did Atkins 4 years ago to go to a wedding back home. I lost 17 pounds the most that I ever lost in my life except when I had 4 childen. I looked and felt great,but
while I was away I started to eat normaly again. I put back some of the weight. When my husband and I were going on another trip I took off 10 pounds again.  Once again I looked good, but again while I was away I ate normal food. and so on,now it is 4 years latter I am 10 pound more hen I was 4 years ago. So I deside to go back to eating the way I ate 4 years ago. Just eat what I like just less of it.  Hopefully the weght will come off, we will see. I also started to swim every day for now, because of  artritis that I have in my knees. With the help of the Lord the weight will come off.                  

Anonymous said...

SHAPEWORKS AND SENSIBLE EATING IS THE BEST DIET OUT THERE TODAY. LOW-CARB DIETS LEAVE YOU WITH NO ENERGY. THEY DO LOWER YOUR TOTAL CHOLESTEROL BUT THAT MEANS YOUR LDL(GOOD CHOLESTREOL) GOES DOWN ALSO. YOU CANNOT EAT ALL THAT FAT AND NOT HAVE IT CATCH UP TO YOU SOONER OR LATER AS MOST PEOPLE ARE NOW FINDING OUT.

Anonymous said...

Two years ago my MD referred me for gastric bypass surgery. I've always been big, probably since jr. high. Two years ago I topped out at 322 lbs at 6'3. The day my MD placed the referral I went total meat, cheese & eggs. Also I need to tell you that my triglycerides were 990, my chol. was 420! He told me I would be dead within 4 years. I faithfully ate meat, cheese, & eggs for approx. 10 months. I walked on a treadmill about 30 minutes a night. I went back to the doctor a year later ( w/o the gastric bypass! ) walked into his office and weighed in at 228 pounds. He hugged me and looked at me and said," Boy that gastric bypass did wonders!" I told him, " I never had it done." He wanted to know what I did. I told him I was carb free for the last year. He instantly freaked and said, " Oh we have to draw your lipids now." My Triglycerides were 194 my chol. was 124. LDL was norm. for the first time in my life. HDL was norm. too. He couldn't believe it. Well it's 2 years later and I still feel great, lipids are still nomal.