Monday, June 28, 2004

Carb-a-licious

We're going to have to hold up on the Atkins entry.  I'm not ready for another foray into nasty low-carb eating.

This past weekend, I attended a conference for my job, so it was pretty difficult to do the low-carb thing.  Every time you turned around there was a waiter bringing out a basket of bread.  Bread, glorious bread.  Fluffy rolls, buttery croissants, slices of warm sourdough bread, baguettes...any kind of bread you could imagine.  And next to the bread basket was a plate of butter.  I love butter!  And bread and butter together?  There's nothing better.  Half way through my first meal, I gave up on being cute and grabbed some bread, slathered some butter on it and went to town.

At the banquet on Saturday evening, once again there was a bread basket on the table, and it was calling my name.  I was seated near the butter, so I knew that fate had to bring us together.  Me, the bread and the butter...what a great team!  My girlfriend Ann who has conquered the carb thing, and is looking all fit and trim told me, "Girl, don't do it.  Don't take the bread."  I tuned her out and grabbed a piece anyway.  She shook her head at me in disgust.  I knew I let her down, but a girl had to do what a girl had to do.

Yesterday, my family and I traveled to VA for a funeral.  We were down in the country, so I was looking forward to wrapping my lips around a real down-home soul food dinner.  However, I spent half of the time after the funeral riding around town looking for my various relatives.  By the time I found them, they had eaten, but I hadn't.  And when I don't eat, you had better watch out.  Talk about attitude!  At that point, I would have settled for a piece of KFC chicken, but Mom convinced me to stop and get some gas first.  I drove up the road looking for the gas station and before we knew it, we were headed out of town and towards the endless miles of corn fields and dirt roads.  However almost 2 hours and a 100 miles later, we found the gas station. 

 If it hadn't been for my 6-year-old nephew with the ever-expanding stomach, I might have had a whole sandwich to enjoy on the way.  My sister (his mom) fixed about 17 sandwiches before we left MD; you would have thought we were driving to Disney World with all the food she packed.  PB&J sandwiches, baloney & cheese, cold cut sandwiches -- she had it all.  And my nephew ate it all.  We hadn't been on the road 10 minutes yesterday morning before he started asking for a sandwich!  By the time we reached VA, he had eaten a little of everything.  Every time someone pulled a sandwich out of the bag, he wanted some of it.  I was able to get a scrap of the baloney & cheese, and later a morsel of the PB&J.

It's been a very high-carb weekend.

No comments: